Tuesday, August 3, 2010

An interesting antique...

I picked up this very old lens for a song.  It's in beautiful shape, and considered to be an excellent lens still today.  It will be extremely sharp, but will impart a slightly ethereal feel to the photo being taken.  It has no shutter, and four aperture settings by a combination of levers.

Once I get it fitted to a lens board for my view camera, I'll be able to use a relatively slow film and cover the lens with something like a hat to use as a shutter; or I have a mechanical Packard shutter I can hang on the front and shoot roughly between 1/25th of a second and forever...

Always another challenge down the road!

http://www.davidaimone.com/p68515664
Darlot Hemispherical Rectilinear Lens circa 1869
Paris, France

No comments:

Post a Comment