Thursday, January 14, 2010

Thoughts

I really like photography. And I think I'm pretty good at it. Much better than I am at music. At least the response has been more positive. I think I have an eye for composition, and the technical aspects.

I've learned a heck of a lot in the past two years, and I've been educating myself through online articles, discussion forums, books on various photographers and technique, and practice. It's been like taking a number of formal photography courses at my own pace. I feel like I could teach the basics now.

Lately, I've been reading up on the basic theory of the camera and lighting and even film processes. This helps me understand what is happening even with a new Digital camera. But, it has also told me that I need to work in a basic format as well. Certainly, the most basic and most flexible format is the view camera. These are not cheap, but a system can be put together for a reasonable price.

A portable field view camera in a 4x5 inch format is the way to go. You have to take a completely different, more deliberate approach to photography. And you need to understand the basics, as the camera doesn't take care of them for you. But the quality of the photos are exceptional, and there are things you can do with them as far as perspective and focus that you can't do on a handheld. At least not yet.

So, I would really like to use the years between now and retirement to bring my photographic art to a higher level, and to prepare to do this on a professional basis. I would do portraits, landscapes, etc., and would really like to do commission work (I have done a bit of that already). We'll see. For now, I will invest in the equipment and practice. I'll also try to get as many shows as possible and establish a full resume and portfolio.  Two shows on tap for this spring...

Thanks for "listening"...any advice?

1 comment:

  1. Quite honestly, I thought you already WERE "professional." Your work is outstanding. Seems to me that you are on the right track. :)

    ReplyDelete